Susan Rodgers

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Not Moping

You wouldn’t believe how cold it is here right now. Really. It was 53 degrees (according to my digital clock) IN OUR BEDROOM when we got up this morning. No central heat in the homes around here. When Ben went running a couple mornings ago, he said there was frost all over the place.

Our guys get together on Wednesday mornings at 6:30 for prayer. We gals get together at 9:30 (“a.m. in the morning”). Today it’s all happening at our house, so Ben and I forced ourselves out of bed into our frigid room to get going. I put on SO many layers, including a knit hat from Mom and a big HPC sweatshirt from Danny.

In more effort to get warm I did lunges just now as I was waiting for the computer to connect to the Internet and download email (you also would be incredulous at how long it takes to do that).
It’s funny, though, and I even mentioned to Ben it is a bit of an adventure having to bundle up just to be warm in your own house. We huddle by the fireplace often.

Last night after supper Charles & Kristen and Ben & I watched the new Healing Place Church DVD (oh, it’s so good—thank you Ms Barbara!) by the fire. We ache to be there, yet we’re thrilled to be here. Does that make sense?

So, freezing weather, slow Internet, and homesick hearts I guess can sound like I’m moping, but instead it’s really alright. Cindy Stermer recently told me you can laugh or you can cry; might as well laugh. That’s what we’re doing, and God’s grace is big enough to sustain us when it gets REALLY hard.

Okay, I’ll share a verse I jotted on an index card today:

Psalm 34:18,19
“The Lord is near the brokenhearted;
He saves those crushed in spirit.
Many adversities come to the one who is righteous,
But the Lord delivers him from them all.”

Wow, He does this is so many ways. I think one of those ways is by helping us laugh. That joy unspeakable thing.

Nope. Not moping. Thanks, Lord!

4 Comments:

  • HAHAHA! That's awesome! Not the freezing cold, slow internet, or homesick hearts part, but the completely trusting God and the not moping part! I have to admit....when things don't go the way that I think that they should...I'm the first to throw a pity party. It's quiet childish I must admit. It is def. something that God is working on in me! Hope you are having a WONDERFUL day! =)

    Stephanie

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 4:22 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 4:23 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Jean Ohlerking, at 8:23 AM  

  • okay. you can be homesick for God Bless America. but then when you are here at "home" your heart longs for the far country...

    doesn't make a lot of sense, however, it doesn't need to. as missionaries we know that we will be most satisfied when we are where God wants us to be.

    God knows better than we know what will make us happy. we rest in that.

    where is home anyway?

    heaven.

    and i plan to go there one day.

    love ya
    mom

    By Blogger Jean Ohlerking, at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home