Susan Rodgers

Friday, May 12, 2006

Promises

Yesterday was an amazing day. It started with men’s early morning prayer meeting at our house. I set out home-made bagels and goodies along with starting a pot of coffee while Ben built a fire. Ben and I sat watching the fire while we waited for the guys to show up (then I would leave the living room).

At one point I remember saying as I kind of stared into the flames, “I just don’t know about this medical degree dream, Ben. I just don’t see how it’s gonna happen.” I concluded it with saying, “Lord, my life is Yours. Whatever You want to do with it.”

Then in the afternoon Teresa and I had the amazing experience of helping a woman deliver her baby in her house. (The story should be in the next ‘Cup Newsletter—see www.childrenscup.org if you don’t receive this and would like to. It’s free.)

God had His hand in the entire process. And I also look back and see how that whole event could have taken place without my being there, and everything would have been alright. But He did let me be there, an active participant. And I left that woman’s house with a greater desire than ever before to get a medical degree, to be a doctor.

If He does not have this for my future, I’d consider yesterday’s experience to be a cruel joke on me. But the Lord doesn’t operate like that. And Ben and Mom individually said the words that confirmed what I was timidly hoping for in my heart, that this is a promise about the future He has for me.

That word promise has a lot of meaning to me. The first rainbow was the Lord’s symbol of His promise to Noah to not flood the earth. Every time it rains and sun shines at the same time, I’m out scanning the sky for a rainbow. I’m kind of fanatical about it, even. I’ll stop a conversation to go look for a rainbow. I draw a little rainbow in the margin of my Bible every time I read the word “promise” or “covenant.” Rainbows are a visual reminder to me of God’s Words.

God’s promises are never broken, just like a perfect rainbow. They are beautiful, too. And they only come in His perfect timing.

So, with great emotion I type this, exposing another corner of my heart and a huge desire I have. I don’t know how the Lord will bring it about or the timing. I’m still a bit timid about it, but hopeful. While I wait, I’ll choose to trust Him and continue to surrender my life to Him, a living sacrifice.

2 Comments:

  • Wow, you helped deliver a baby! That is so cool. I don't think I knew you were wanting to be a doctor. I wish i were there with my Ben right now and that we could hang out with you guys. I miss our friends in Swazi.

    By Blogger Janeen Singer, at 10:35 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Janeen Singer, at 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home