Susan Rodgers

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Little Acts with Big Love


A medical team from the States was here this past week to minister to people at some of our CarePoints, and I had the privilege of participating in two days of the outreach. Dr. Beyda (one of the most brilliant doctors ever), aware of my interest in medicine, invited me to sit with him and learn as he treated patients. It was a fantastic experience.

Just over 1,700 people were treated in five days, and many gave their hearts to Christ. The Lord’s name was made famous and glorified. What an awesome thing of which to be a part!


My personal experience:

This thing, of course, is not about me or any individual’s personal ambitions, yet the Lord has a way of fulfilling our heart’s desires—desires that He Himself has planted in our hearts—as we go about doing His will.

Matthew 10:41, 42 (Message)
“This is a large work I’ve called you into, but don’t be overwhelmed by it. It’s best to start small. Give a cool cup of water to someone who is thirsty, for instance. The smallest act of giving or receiving makes you a true apprentice. You won’t lose out on a thing.”

The Lord used that verse to call me to missions when I was eight years old. That is also the verse upon which Children’s Cup is based and thus named. The passage came alive to me again as Ben read it from The Message to the whole group of people (the ‘Cup missionaries, the medical team, teachers, spiritual counselors, volunteers, etc.) before we began to minister on Wednesday morning. He was exhorting all of us to do little acts with big love.

One of the patients we saw had a nasty wound under her arm that needed to be drained. I held her hand as Dr. Troy did this operation while she lay on a wobbly folding table. At one point during the procedure, we gave her some additional oral pain medication, and I found myself scooping her up and helping her drink some water in order to swallow the pills. Again, that verse came to my mind. “Apprentice…cup of cool water…large work…don’t be overwhelmed…smallest act…”

I know He has a plan for me, and He has a plan for you. Each of us fits into His Body that is bigger than life. It’s all for His glory. And how fulfilling it is to feel the Lord’s huge love flowing through us to the people whom we touch, even if it is just with a hug or a cup of cool water!

To see more pictures of the medical team trip, please check out the photo album on the Youngs' blog: www.charlesandkristen.blogspot.com.

3 Comments:

  • i am so happy that you got be a part of this sus :) love you so much <3

    By Blogger The Youngs, at 1:11 AM  

  • Dr Susan,
    You are amazing! God is doing great things in your life! You are a blessing to so many! Your gifts from the Lord are evident in your caring and hospitality. Thank you for welcoming us and making us feel right at home. Your family is beatiful! I can't tell you how amazing your "team" made it for our team! You guys were so organized and prepared! It made all of the difference for us! I know God hears the cry of your heart to serve him thru medicine, don't give up! His timing is perfect! Many blessings and much love, Kelly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 AM  

  • Susie and Ben,
    Thank you for opening your home and hearts to us! You are truly amazing and the team was wonderful! The week went so well because of all of your dedication, you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Thank you!
    See you in March,
    Lisa Keller

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home