Susan Rodgers

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Yikes!

This morning I wanted to read on and meditate some more upon the Gideon story (see previous post), and have found myself disturbed all day about the final outcome. The story isn’t new to me, but today it is hitting me hard as if I just saw it on CNN.

Perhaps because it does happen in current times, just as it did in Bible days. What is it that happens? COMPROMISE.

Gideon was weak, but obedient. God showed up and did the supernatural through Gideon, just as He said He would. Weak man becomes a hero. BUT THEN…that ugly word…compromise.

Gideon made an ephod with gold donated by the people, and “Then all Israel prostituted themselves with it there, and it became a snare to Gideon and his household.” (Judges 8:27)

How many stories like this are in the Bible? Uzziah was “marvelously helped until he became strong.” (2 Chronicles 26:15) Then he got stuck on himself and made some terrible decisions. King David went from shepherd boy to giant-conqueror to king of all Israel, but then he compromised. You know what that led to!

UGH! I have been pondering this off and on all day today. On the heels of my balking I find myself begging God, “Please oh please AFTER You have done Your thing, may we remain true to You. I don’t want to compromise. I don’t want us to get all full of pride and think it was us doing the supernatural. It is all by You, for You, unto You. Dear God help us stay pure!!! If King David could fall, surely I am not exempt from teetering as well!”

I pray that this truth sticks with me, with all of us, as we step out in faith and believe God to do His thing. And now, at the end of this day, I am choosing to trust the Lord with this one too. I trust Him to preserve us, and with His shepherd’s staff, yank us back on course if we wander off.

I trust You, Father. I trust You. Hold my hand tight, I pray. Keep us on course. I trust You.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Susan, thank you for your posts. When He is blessing I'm totally turning it back to Him, so do not want to fail Him...so know I will. Nothing but the blood..thanks for what you do Susan.

    By Blogger sammie, at 5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home