Susan Rodgers

Friday, June 15, 2007

Life Training

I have three friends with children in potty training. Our ladies’ Bible study group noisily cheered with them when their kids went #2 on the potty for the first time. It’s a really big deal. If you’re a mom, you know what I mean!

Yet again, the Lord is teaching me something through my kids. I love it.

I told my friends yesterday, “It just takes time. Plan on it taking 6 months, and don’t get discouraged. Be consistent. They’ll get it eventually.”

The Lord now is using this to encourage me regarding habits I’d like to break! Unnecessary gazes in the mirror, picking my skin, being quickly offended, being deliberately “dull” to the Holy Spirit when He begins to lead me in a direction I don’t want to go, etc… (The complete list would fill a gigabyte.)

But just as my friends’ kids are in potty training, I’m in “Life Training.” We ALL are! When I goof up and “mess my pants” for the 6th time in a day, God patiently cleans me up and says, “Let’s have another go at it, now.”

He knows I want to please Him. I don’t want to be mastered by anything but Him. But LIFE Training takes time, just like potty training. I want to kick the bad habits immediately, but He knows I won’t do that.

The great news is He doesn’t love me any less simply because I mess up! I didn’t love my kids any less when they wet their pants for the 100th time. They weren’t disqualified as my children, either.

And we’re not disqualified as children of God when we mess up. His love for us isn’t diminished. His approval of us is based on His perfect Son’s blood covering us. So we trade in our filthy rags and receive the robe of righteousness. We stand confident in His presence because of His gift of forgiveness and righteousness. We are His kids, and He loves us regardless of our performance.

So, today, if I mess up again, I’ll choose to remember about potty training instead of letting myself feel all condemned about my failures in LIFE Training.

Thanks, Lord. I needed to hear this!

7 Comments:

  • Sooze, thank you so much for your words of wisdom! they ministered to my heart. I love you so much and miss all of you! wish I was there to cheer with you all. Stay strong my dear friend, with love, Crystal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:29 PM  

  • hey aunt sooze,

    i miss you!!!

    i loved this post. it's kinda funny because one of my friends (tylerbarry.blogspot.com) posted his revelation about potty training, too.
    lol.

    By Blogger tori ohlerking, at 7:51 PM  

  • I will use this life training too!!

    By Blogger AdoptedAsHisOwn, at 7:56 AM  

  • So thankful and glad He loves me in spite of my much too often moments of thick headedness!! ;-) Zinty

    By Blogger showstopper, at 5:16 AM  

  • That will preach sister! thanks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 PM  

  • Isn't it amazing how God can teach us through our kids. Be blessed!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 8:29 PM  

  • I needed to hear that more than you know. My family and I have been praying for all of you guys. I miss Africa like crazy!!! i cant wait to come back!
    Thank you again for that SLAMMIN' meal you fed us when the team was in!
    Angela Musso

    By Blogger ~anj~, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home